Saturday 21 June 2008

There's no place like home...

I'm feeling somewhat contemplative this morning. I'm not far off moving to London again, and while its been liveable here, i need to be near my friends, the London Underground, kebab shops, filth encrusted streets and rampant, unbridaled consumerism.

I keep wondering what i'll end up doing by the end of the year, although Security Work is well paid, i'm considering returning to my geeky roots. There are plenty of PC Worlds and such hiring nerds, and although it carries a certain stigma, i could tolerate being one of 'The Geek Squad'. I know, i know, it brings to mind the sort of people you'd expect to be lanky and pimply, devoid of social skills and sporting an intellect the size of Jupiter....oh and the glasses, those thick rimmed glass bottle type ones. You know what i mean. Stigma aside, for me, it'd be a walk in the park and wouldn't feel like work. I enjoy that sorta stuff. Wierd, aren't i? :)

Still, whatever i end up doing, as long as its in London, thats all i really care about. It's my home, and i dont think i want to leave. My brother on the other hand, can't wait to leave. He's sold his flat and is champing at the bit to get back to Canada. Will i be in his position 10 years from now? I'm skeptical that i'll think that, as theres a fundamental difference between us. The main one, is that he grew up in the countryside and migrated to London in his childhood, whereas i was born in 'ammersmiff. Sorry, Hammersmith. I grew up listening to police sirens, drunks at the bus stops, fights in the high street, and it all seemed normal to me.

When i went to stay over at my brothers before Christmas, the 'sound' of London was one thing i've missed living here. I felt unsettled until i heard a police car go past the flat, it's siren wailing into the distance. However, the universe sought to provide me with enough police sirens for a few month, as 6 police cars, an ambulance and a fire engine went past, all within the space of 2 hours. At that point, i lay back on a beanbag and thought to myself 'i'm home'....and cracked a wry smile at the thought of living there once more.

I should make more of an effort to post things here, a lot of the time though, i lack inspiration. Hopefully, this will change soon.

No comments: